Sunday, October 12, 2003

Applebee's, Toys 'R Us, and George Duke's Limousine

Starts with JD in some Applebee's type restaurant. Leaving, nearly out the door, but realize we've forgotten some stuff in the booth (i.e. shopping bags.) This turns into an angry altercation with some managers. I lose it, shouting obscenities in front of patrons, and tell employees not to be so surprised I'm acting this way due to their obnoxiousness and condescension. At some point, able to return to booth and search underneath for bags; still missing stuff. Leaving again, I give more angry threats towards belligerent male manager.

Outside, meet up with JD and family; I'm embarrassed by previous actions. I move away down the block, decide to prank Applebee's on cell phone (calling 411 first.) I use sort of stroke-victim "Kissel" type voice and ask strange questions to employee who picks up phone, i.e. "do you have pickles?" etc. Cousin Tom shows up, we goof around. I realize I am also missing jacket, wallet, etc. We race back to restaurant; might be closing. Tom runs extra fast to be funny or make a point. Eventually with JD's mom and a relative played by actress Doris Roberts.

Get back, able to enter (not closed) but quickly realize this isn't the restaurant, it's the Toys 'R Us next store. Move next store and gain entrance into closed restaurant (employees cleaning up.) Opposite of previous exchange; friendly at first, I tell them I had left some things behind earlier and was treated badly by staff, but express love for establishment, which they appreciate.

Somehow this discussion changes location to the back of a limousine where I continue to negotiate with the staff, now on their way home. I notice one of the smug young girls actually wearing my jacket and take it back, only to be laughed at when I put it on and realize an inner lining has been removed. Somehow I get my stuff back including cash in wallet, through negotiation with young punk. Suddenly a figure appears from further ahead in the stretch car: it's musician George Duke, looking very friendly - I flip out, telling him how excited I am to meet him. He's also ecstatic as these young kids he seems to cart around in his limo to and from Applebee's don't seem to really know who he is. I start telling him which of his records I like and he finishes my thoughts: "I Love The Blues, She Heard My Cry", "Reach For It", and "Feel It." (All of these are real-life records by George Duke except the last one which is really called just "Feel.") I want to tell him I like a certain ballad called "Someday" (true) but am cut off.

We arrive at Duke's gated mansion; I realize I need to get back somehow to the restaurant (and my car there.) George agrees to take me back as he lets the kids out. The punk who eventually gave me my wallet back - we have a heart-to-heart, where we both reveal our serious financial difficulties. I decide to give him some money to show no hard feelings; I realize his sincere need. I drop a $20 bill but decide to give that to him. We get in the back of the luxury car together as George Duke takes the wheel.

Later, I'm back at Toys 'R Us. RU is there. Walking around, there is music playing, and I realize I am able to sing normally impossibly high notes, so I start improvising in a Middle Eastern style, joyful and laughing at myself, and especially one ridiculously high passage. I'm with some percussionists, moving through the aisles, while we pass another group of indigenous type percussionists playing their own groove. They slow theirs down a bit to match ours, but their downbeat is on our upbeat, which I humorously, visually note to one of the foreign players by moving to the beat in a certain way. He smiles and realizes the discrepancy, but it's all good. Shortly after, a brief discussion with RU on what to check out in the store.