Monday, November 15, 2004

Time Travel

Strange-feeling dream. Time travel. At first I'm able to revisit an overview of years from ten years ago and literally leap from year to year like visual steps, 1993, 1994, etc, or like I'm overhead watching my old self leap/go through in sped-up time. I see my past self do something that I don't expect and haven't remembered correctly since; at some point I take a leap in an unexpected direction. I then feel better knowing now. The sequence of years is depressingly viewed as a series of plateaus to drop onto from above, each lower than the next.

Flash forward to sometime 1995-1996 and I'm in the action instead of watching. Supposed to be Boston, looks nothing like it. There is some route to get somewhere (school?) that is very long and complex that I realize CJ and I used to take, not noticing there was a nearby bridge that would have shortened the journey safely. We are there but vaguely aware we are visiting the past. CJ and I meet up (I figure he will be surprised I made it) at an old ferry that we need to take. I'm surprised there is no crowd and the ticket booth is in a strange place, but I think it must be the hour. Maybe we have to wait before leaving so we step outside into a semi-rowdy nighttime gang/smuggler meeting. CJ (possibly someone else now) starts telling a tall tale/cover story to some people and I back him up, until he goes too far and is caught in a lie. We try to cover for it. I'm questioned, I write off any further detailed questions by saying I've been out of the business for sometime.

The most intense part of the dream follows. Is too personal to fully detail here. I'm able to time-travel, back to my own body, 5 months before certain life changes in the not distant past. Very strange to be back in "reality" instead of imagination. Trying to do things differently, and be more aware. Meeting near train station. In some type of dorm room. Another female knocks on the door, asking someone how some movie/show was, but I'm not dressed. TV is on. I sit down again with the person I've come back to talk to. I say that I've had a terrible vision of the next 5 months and I explain it vaguely. Somehow I've travelled back able to pinpoint the exact moment of change, it has something to do with a dance show on TV, so I say to watch, because it's coming up. Artistic show, but at key point it changes to something I don't expect (even though I am supposedly re-living the past.) I mention Whitney Museum of Art may have sponsored the dance, and say the specifics may not be important, but the moment is. I continue with my fantastic story. She's crying. I start to say something I didn't expect to say, but that makes total sense in the context, but it's scary, and this strange shivering feeling washes over the dream, almost visually, before I get to finish saying it.

No comments: