Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hendrix in the Classroom

I'm in some type of school. I'm waiting in a second room instead of going into my class. Apparently I'm very late; it's about noon. I might have passed the time reading, or just arrived/woke up late. I finally enter my classroom. There is one teacher, tall African-American, walking around the class, instructing. He may be the aide because there is another older teacher up at the desk in front of the class. I go over to this older teacher and make excuses...the aide told me to wait before entering, etc. This teacher just looks at me (while class continues) and says "You just have to be here..." making my reasons look foolish and irrelevant; I simply was not there.


I see the book being studied and get a peek at some of its complex math equations. I feel confident I can catch up, just need to do the work and study. But then the teacher aide starts walking around the room with a guitar performing "All Along the Watchtower." It's not a great version, similar to Hendrix but not quite. His guitar playing is ok but a bit sloppy. Somehow, this is part of the curriculum.


As the song continues, some students (Pete H. included) sit down at the three upright pianos on one side of the room, and they attempt to play along, miserably. Teacher/Hendrix doesn't seem disturbed (to my surprise); instead, he encourages their atonal, accidental explorations and the song falls apart into cacophony. Finally, though I no longer recognize the tune, everyone settles in on a plodding, looping, C# - B - A - B chord progression to end the piece.


At some other point in another location, I get a phone call from Karl, who wants to rap about a movie he just saw (ROTK.) I'm listening to his voicemail message, but then am able to break in and talk to him directly.


P.S. New Year's Resolution: more dream blogging. I've been terribly negligent and have subsequently forgotten many recent dreams that I meant to write down.

No comments: