Monday, January 09, 2006

The Tunnel

In some kind of a subterranean cave tunnel, trying to get through to a certain exit. I'm with this other man in a small open area, when the dim electric lights that go line the tunnel start to flicker. I panic a little about this unforeseen possibility, knowing that if those lights go out, we'll be in total darkness, and may have to feel our way down the passage for who knows how many miles. For a few seconds, I'm frantically looking for a lamp or lighter or anything so we don't get caught in the blackout. But when the lights go out, it's revealed that further down the passage are some concrete stairs leading up, lit by streetlamps from above. I go halfway up the stairs to find a nighttime scene in a deserted parkground area in the suburbs. I'm not as excited to have found an exit as I should be; this doesn't feel like the right one. Nevertheless, I leave the tunnel.


Shortly after, the tunnel exit has become two exits and they resemble the front doors of adjacent NYC borough houses. However, despite that familiar and civilized appearance and feel, these are still the entrances to some unknown underground caverns. I see a teenage boy appear from inside one of the houses, and he's carrying MP. At first there is a general feeling of relief amongst the gathered crowd and myself, as if this indicates some successful rescue, but then the teenager begins to retreat back down the hallway with the cat. I break out of observing role to consciously stop him, opening the screen door and grabbing his arm. I'm successful at rescuing the cat from him, but not before noticing that the boy's arm is in some state of decay, i.e. green and showing bone. Then I notice MI walking away down the hall of the other entrance. She is walking and talking with her dad and too far away to reach.


There was another sequence that involved an appearance by the Incredible Hulk as he appeared on the 1979 TV series. This may be the filming of an episode, but there is a feeling of some actual danger, and in person the makeup on actor Lou Ferrigno looks stranger than it should.

No comments: